People who are fans of the long running RPG series called Heroes of Might and Magic will be happy to know that the engine to run the third installment of the game on your Android device is now available. Just like with the second one, this one requires you to have the original files.
So while this engine/emulator is great, if you don’t own a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 then you won’t be able to play. That said, if you are a fan(atic) of this RPG series, you will already own a copy for your PC. Should you be unable to find said files, you can always buy them again for around $10.
This engine, named VCMI, will allow you to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on your Android device. You will need a higher-end device to be able to run it smoothly though. The developer, Pelya, made news here at DroidGamers awhile ago when he released a version of the open source Transport Tycoon game onto Android called OpenTTD. Requirements to run this on your device are that you have a resolution of 800×450 minimum, 256Mb of RAM available and a pretty fast CPU.
To run Heroes of Might and Magic 3, you’ll need to follow these instructions from the developer:
– Launch VCMI once, it will create directory on SD card and exit
– Install Heroes 3: Complete, or Heroes 3: Shadow of Death on your PC (English version only, Russian not supported, you may buy it from http://gog.com )
– Install free Wake of Gods addon, from http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes3/files/allinone_358f.zip
– Copy all game files to your SD card to directory app-data/eu.vcmi
– Launch VCMI again. If it won’t run install aLogcat app from Market, and check it’s output – most probably VCMI is missing some file.
So if you are up for a little RPG madness this Tuesday afternoon, you might want to get a little old school and play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on your Android device. You can download the VCMI engine off the Android Market for free.
Website Referenced: AndroidPolice
Android Market Link: VCMI