An award-winning game from Activision’s first Independent Games Competition called Rigonauts has just been officially confirmed for release on multiple platforms such as iOS, PC via Steam and, of course since we are writing about it, Android. So what is Rigonauts?
Rigonauts is a physics-based battle strategy game where you will be playing as Rigo and his band of hobgoblins who are trying to get out of the hostile world they have managed to get trapped on before their evil master, who they are escaping from, finds them and re-captures all of them. Here is the official background story description:
The story follows a band of small, hapless yet determined engineering Hobs (as in hobgoblins) as they steal the valiant ship, the Rigo in an attempt to flee the clutches of slavery and their former masters, the Komandants. Just as freedom is within sight, a violent and unexpected storm runs the poor Hobs and Rigo aground. Now stranded in a hostile world with their evil masters upon them, the only thing standing between the tiny crew of Rigonauts and certain obliteration is the limits of your engineering imagination.
– Endless Strategic Possibilities – Plan, design, and build your own version of the Rigo to overcome the strengths and exploit the weaknesses of the evil Komondants’ naval forces.
– Wacky Weaponry – Command your Crewlin to man an arsenal of machine guns, cannons, flamers and much more as you cripple enemy vessels in your fight to freedom.
– Armors, Shocks & Balloons – Outfit your vessel with armor, shocks and balloons to take on any enemy artillery and terrain imaginable.
– Over 30 Levels – Test the limits of your imagination as you build and battle through over 30 levels of fantastical foes and kooky Komandants.
– Rigonauts Crew – The Caplin commands the Crewlin, the gunners and Saplins who board enemy Komandant ships.
This game is a mix of building, sort of like Apparatus in a way, and strategy combat. You will have to plan and build your ship before commanding it and using it to smash through the enemy’s fleet of ships. It is a rather unique game where just about anything is possible.
No word just yet on how much Rigonauts will cost when it launches but we do know it will be launching sometime in May 2012. For now though we can enjoy the screenshots and trailer video until we can actually play the game.
Developer Website: Engient