Akaneiro: Demon Hunters is a game we’ve talked about a few times in the recent past. Developed by American MeGee and his company Spicy Horse Games, Akaneiro: Demon Hunters is a rather good looking action RPG that tells a rather twisted version of Red Riding Hood while meshing it with setting it in the Edo period of Japan, inspired by ancient demons, with hand-painted visuals.
With the hand-painted cel-shaded visuals looking quite good as well as the overall gameplay, it appears that American McGee and Spicy Horse Games need additional funding to complete the game. For those of you not familiar with American Mcgee, he designed both Alice and its sequel, Alice: Madness Returns.
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters will be a free-to-play game as well but in order to get the game finished and launched, American McGee has hit up Kickstarter hoping to raise an additional $200K in funding. The company also wants to clarify ahead of time how they are monetizing the game since it is a free-to-play title:
– The game will be free to play
– There will be a number of free maps players can play
– The exact number of free maps will be determined in the upcoming open beta
– Additional content will be available for purchase
– This additional content can also be purchased by accruing the in-game currency, karma
– Other items for sale will be cosmetic items and karma packs
Since the game actually exists right now, a few lucky people are already playing the closed beta. However, to full finish the game the way they want it, they need additional funding. As of right now their new Kickstarter campaign which started today is already sitting at almost $12K. You can watch their pitch video below.
Website Referenced: Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Kickstarter