Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

The Walking Dead: Assault by Skybound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

Finally, the best version of The Walking Dead: Assault is available for Droid devices!

Released for the first time to Google Play fans of Robert Kirkman's award winning "The Walking Dead", this game takes you from the moment Rick awakens in hospital, to the horrific camp invasion that costs the survivors valuable allies and friends.

The Walking Dead: Assault for Google Play features enhancements over the original, top-rated No1 strategy title. These include additional and enhanced sound and visual FX, new balance tweaks to the game's play difficulty, additional booster items to give you more ammo and health, and the Michonne character update from the original release.

AVAILABLE NOW! EPISODE 1: “DAYS GONE BYE”
Play as your favorite characters from the series – Rick, Glenn, Shane, Carl, Andrea, Lori and more! Assemble and choose your ultimate team of four, hunt for supplies, upgrade, and use unique special character abilities to survive against the walker hordes!

EXCLUSIVE BONUS WALKING DEAD CONTENT!
Complete Bonus Objectives and Challenges to unlock special content including artwork and wallpapers for your device, behind-the-scenes trivia, Google Play Achievements and much more!

Play the top-rated Official game of Robert Kirkman's Eisner Award-winning comic series "The Walking Dead", now a hit TV show from AMC about to launch its 4th Season!

FEATURES

•Authentic locations from the award-winning comic series, visualized within a 3D comic book style!

•Play as your favorite characters from the comics with intuitive controls built for Touch-screen devices!

•Trigger distractions such as flares and car alarms to divert attention away from you and your party – but be careful how much noise you make!

•Unlock and upgrade your characters' attributes to tilt the odds in your favor!

•Beat your friends times via Google Play Leaderboards!

•Buy now or Gift this app to a friend!

Price: $2.99

Google Play: https://play.google....m.skybound.TWDA

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 Spacejam

Spacejam

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

So is this like turn-based, like Hunters?

#3 MewmewGirl

MewmewGirl

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

So is this like turn-based, like Hunters?

No, it's real time live action.

#4 MewmewGirl

MewmewGirl

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

It's such a cool game with 10 different characters to unlock and use, all with different active and passive skills along with two different weapons each.  Usually the weapons are a ranged and a melee weapon, but some don't have a ranged weapon.

The ranged weapons run out of ammo, though you find more as you play along the levels and also have other upgrade abilities that affect all characters at once and one of them is the amount of ammo your gun can hold and start with.  Yet you still don't want to always go in full guns blazing for all that long as you can make too much noise and attract a wandering horde of zombies to decend on your location.

It's drawn in this comic book style of mostly black and white, minimal colors, though there is red as well for blood and some other tints sometimes usually to show you a point of interest (Green for distractions, blue for your characters, yellow for pickups). 

You can control all the characters at once, or you can select to do one at a time.  This includes both movement and changing weapons, you can make them all switch at once to quickly change over to quiet weapons for instance.

The game makes good use of touch screen controls too.  You have an option to change how you move your people.  I switched mine to the alternate version of double clicking to move the entire group and a single long hold to move one character at a time.  The game comes default the other way around but I find that it's quicker and easier to move using double clicks and you move the entire group more often than you move a single character so switching it from the default settings worked the best for me.

The one shortfall (no pun intended) is that it's really...short.  There are only 11 total levels and most of them aren't very big to begin with.  The later levels get bigger but it's disappointing to see so few levels for $3.  While the PC world may laugh at such a statement, we're used to more here on TSD's for the money.

There are four different difficulties to help draw the game out and it is one of the few games that is actually fun to go through the various difficulties so that does help the length a little.  The way the game plays your entire strategy changes as your difficulty changes so there really is a reason to play the different ones.  There are also more new episodes coming in the future, but we're going to have to buy them each as they're released.

Despite being based on The Walking Dead to which there is a lot of story in both comics and shows, there really isn't much story here.  It relies on you already knowing the story as you visit locations from the series.  It would have been nice if they put in story fillers for those who have no idea who these characters are and what's going on.  Even if they were short little pieces.  The very first level did have a short comic panel showing a little bit but then that was it.  They don't continue on doing this for later levels.

The game plays out very smoothly and with real strategy that comes into play.  On the easiest level you can sort of bluff and blunder your way through most everything, plowing through like a little army.  But just going up to normal stops that most of the time.  On hard you really need to make good use of positioning and all distractions and such.

Although the length is short I still would recommend this as a buy.  Fans of The Walking Dead will most likely find this a "must buy" but others will find a very nice strategy game to play.  If you're not a fan of the series however, you may want to wait until the game goes on sale as it's going to feel really short for the money.  Even though it's not some cheesy stuttering half broken clone of other games thrown out based on the franchise like some games are, I do feel that the length would have been somewhat extended if it wasn't based on a popular property.

#5 SGDjames

SGDjames

Flashy Moderator

• Moderators
  • 449 posts
  • LocationCanada

User's Awards

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Nice impressions MewMewGirl. I'm definitely going to be checking this out! Though I have never watched the show before, I am intrigued by the gameplay and the art style. It's a bit disappointing that the game doesn't fill in new gamers to the storyline stuff, but I guess it's just aimed more towards fans of the show.

The game is actually on sale right now for half price ($1.49), so anyone that was curious should give this a download. I know I will be. 

Signature1-2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users