Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Geometry Dash by RobTop Games

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Jump and fly your way through danger in this rythm-based action platformer!

Prepare for a near impossible challenge in the world of Geometry Dash. Push your skills to the limit as you jump, fly and flip your way through dangerous passages and spiky obstacles.

Simple one touch game play with lots of levels that will keep you entertained for hours!

Game Features

• Rhythm-based Action Platforming!
• Lots of levels with unique soundtracks!
• Build and share your own levels using the level editor!
• Unlock new icons and colors to customize your character!
• Fly rockets, flip gravity and much more!
• Use practice mode to sharpen your skills!
• Lots of achievements and rewards!
• Challenge yourself with the near impossible!
• No in-app purchases!

Price: $2.15

Google Play: https://play.google....px.geometryjump

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Well, this is one heck of a hardcore one-touch platformer! The levels are really long (or at least they feel that way in the heat of the moment). There is a practice mode which has a good amount of checkpoints...but the ultimate aim will be of course to complete the levels all in one go w/o dying. The presentation is simple, and the fact that your jumps are most of the times synchronized with the music beat makes it even more engaging. To top it all off, there is an extensive level builder here. Once I've mastered to game, I hope to create a masterpiece of a level myself too :)

But there are some shortcoming that are not allowing me to full enjoy the game (so may not be able to be addressed by the dev due to the nature of the game):

- The reaction to my taps feel a bit delayed. The delay needs to be minimized or removed. Very hard to time jumps accurately.

- Music restarts each time you die. Most of the time you keep dying every few seconds, and the music abruptly stops and restarts. This probably can't be helped cause the music is in sync with the levels.

- Checkpoints placement is terrible. They should exist on flat stretches for example. But here, often times the checkpoints are at the edge of a block, making it very frustrating and a stop-start experience. Again, may not be improved much due to nature of the game.

Beyond those three gripes of mine, this is definitely a fine game. Would recommend it for sure.

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#3 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Well, this is one heck of a hardcore one-touch platformer! The levels are really long (or at least they feel that way in the heat of the moment). There is a practice mode which has a good amount of checkpoints...but the ultimate aim will be of course to complete the levels all in one go w/o dying. The presentation is simple, and the fact that your jumps are most of the times synchronized with the music beat makes it even more engaging. To top it all off, there is an extensive level builder here. Once I've mastered to game, I hope to create a masterpiece of a level myself too :)

But there are some shortcoming that are not allowing me to full enjoy the game (so may not be able to be addressed by the dev due to the nature of the game):

- The reaction to my taps feel a bit delayed. The delay needs to be minimized or removed. Very hard to time jumps accurately.

- Music restarts each time you die. Most of the time you keep dying every few seconds, and the music abruptly stops and restarts. This probably can't be helped cause the music is in sync with the levels.

- Checkpoints placement is terrible. They should exist on flat stretches for example. But here, often times the checkpoints are at the edge of a block, making it very frustrating and a stop-start experience. Again, may not be improved much due to nature of the game.

Beyond those three gripes of mine, this is definitely a fine game. Would recommend it for sure.

Hey Himmat, thanks for the feedback!

I have had a few reports where input delay seems to be an issue. Though mostly on Android as the input delay can be quite high on some devices. But I will take a look at this and see if there is anything I can do. There is no delay added in the programming, but I will check to see if there is any way I can improve on this :)

The second point is something I can understand is annoying, but there is no good way around it. Practice mode doesn't restart the music on death, and the other option is to disable music in the options (altough it would remove a big part of the experience)

Checkpoints are also slightly complicated, since they aren't predetermined. The way the system currently works is that it places a checkpoint on landing after a successful jump. It also has a control to remove the checkpoint if you die immediately after it is placed. One option is to turn off the automatic placement of checkpoints from the pause menu, and instead manually place them where it feels good. But there are a lot of things that will be updated and improved as I continue to get more feedback from players :)

Thanks again, really appreciate the input!

#4 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

I do agree the input delay on some Android devices is slightly higher than normal. Like my iPad seems to register input just a tad faster than my tab. Having said that though, the delay here is slightly longer than normal. I play quite a bit of twitch platformers on my tablet (including The Impossible Game) and none face the same issue as this.

#5 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I do agree the input delay on some Android devices is slightly higher than normal. Like my iPad seems to register input just a tad faster. Having said that though, the delay here is slightly longer than normal. I play quite a bit of twitch platformers on my tablet (including The Impossible Game) and none face the same issue as this.

Strange... If the input is faster in the impossible game than obviously there is something wrong in my setup, will investigate right away!

#6 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I may have found something, not sure.

Uploading the new verison now, would appreciate if you could try it out and see if it had any effect. :) (should be up in an hour or two)

#7 Kapil Chaudhary

Kapil Chaudhary

Elite Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

Played this game and I feel its far better than The impossible Game and Space is the key (Less Annoying), I didn't feel any delays worked fine with me. The things I propose is an endless mode where the traps are generated Normally this mode will be helpful once all the stages are completed. There are no levels showing in online levels and that's because very few people have downloaded it so may be we can have endless supply in near future.

#8 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:55 AM

@Kapil - Thanks, glad you like it!

Nice to hear that the game is working smoothly as well, keeping an eye on that :)

I have a few ideas on how an endless mode could work, will probably try to create something interesting for an update. But there should be quite a few levels available now in the online levels, could you check if anything shows up if you go to the featured page and the search page? If not then there must be some kind of bug I'm unaware of. (Been having a blast playing user created levels so far)

As an update I'm thinking of how to improve the tools for the online community. Will probably add support for commenting on user created levels, seems to be needed. Would also like to create some kind of highscore/leaderboard system to give players incentive for playing the online levels, but there are a lot of issues I have to tackle!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated :)

#9 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Just downloaded the update....and it *seems* the input lag delay is now down to the bare minimum. I say *seems* because I fear there is a small chance I am feeling the placebo effect. But I'm jumping as late as I can and I do believe the game is more responsive to touch input now. And also, the massive lag while on the stage select screen has disappeared. Great job! :)

@Kapil, the online feature works for me. I think I was the third one to submit a level ;)

@Rob, yeah, commenting would be awesome! Also, somewhere down the line when the userbase is larger, you should hold a contest, and include the winning level design into the game if it is ok. Would be a nice way to promote the game as well.

As for endless levels, they may add some value but not entirely necessary I feel since you will be updating the game and there is also access to user created levels. Plus, the 7 base levels currently in the game are pretty hardcore and will take some time to perfect!

#10 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

Just downloaded the update....and it *seems* the input lag delay is now down to the bare minimum. I say *seems* because I fear there is a small chance I am feeling the placebo effect. But I'm jumping as late as I can and I do believe the game is more responsive to touch input now. And also, the massive lag while on the stage select screen has disappeared. Great job! :)

@Kapil, the online feature works for me. I think I was the third one to submit a level ;)

@Rob, yeah, commenting would be awesome! Also, somewhere down the line when the userbase is larger, you should hold a contest, and include the winning level design into the game if it is ok. Would be a nice way to promote the game as well.

As for endless levels, they may add some value but not entirely necessary I feel since you will be updating the game and there is also access to user created levels. Plus, the 7 base levels currently in the game are pretty hardcore and will take some time to perfect!

Great, hopefully things will flow smoother now. Just let me know if there are any other issues :)

I agree, the endless mode is not high on my priority list, but might be a fun addition in the future. Right now I want the longevity of the game to come from achievements and user generated content, although completing all main levels should take a while as well ^^

Adding a winning user level into the game is a great idea, and very easy to do. If I can just figure out a system for leaderboards so players feel more compelled to complete online levels I think that will add a lot. Problem with a leaderboard is how to measure points... Still not sure how that system would work.

#11 Kapil Chaudhary

Kapil Chaudhary

Elite Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Now I can download the online levels. And yes I agree that there are ample stuff to play and there is no need to add endless modes. Great Game.

#12 ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason

Pro Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Fantastic game and the music is kickin! I love it :-)

#13 SGDjames

SGDjames

Flashy Moderator

• Moderators
  • 449 posts
  • LocationCanada

User's Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I downloaded this this morning, and I am very impressed! I love the graphics (I didn't play it with sound so I can't comment about that). It is extremely tough though! Wow! Not a bad thing, but wow! A hell of a lot of fun though! Great job :D

Signature1-2.png

#14 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks everyone, really fun to hear that the game is being enjoyed.

And thanks for the review on the frontpage! :D

#15 Mighty

Mighty
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

Downloaded it today and love the music the most. Excellent graphics too! Keep it up.

#16 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

Downloaded it today and love the music the most. Excellent graphics too! Keep it up.

Thanks! :)

So far the response from players has been great, working hard on the next update!

#17 Kapil Chaudhary

Kapil Chaudhary

Elite Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

One idea I am not sure if it's already implemented. You can add reflectors which will reflect the characters every now and then. This will totally change the dimensions of the game play. It's just an idea. :)

#18 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

One idea I am not sure if it's already implemented. You can add reflectors which will reflect the characters every now and then. This will totally change the dimensions of the game a player is playing. It's just an idea. :)

Hmm, how do you mean reflect the player? Sounds interesting ^^

#19 Kapil Chaudhary

Kapil Chaudhary

Elite Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hmm, how do you mean reflect the player? Sounds interesting ^^

I mean the character is currently moving from left to right. You can place reflectors which will reflect the character to move right to left but with different traps would be different. You can do that single time or many times in a level..

#20 RobTopGames

RobTopGames

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I mean the character is currently moving from left to right. You can place reflectors which will reflect the character to move right to left but with different traps would be different. You can do that single time or many times in a level..

Ah gotya. Great minds think alike ^^ I wrote it in the upcoming thread, but what I'm working on for the next update is a portal that mirrors/reflects the whole level. Going good so far, still got a few things to fix but it should be ready soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users