Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Asphalt 8: Airborne by Gameloft

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

The best Android arcade racing game series reaches a new turning point! Perform dynamic, high-speed aerial stunts in an intense driving experience powered by a brand-new physics engine!

LUXURY DREAM CARS
• 47 high-performance cars (80% of them NEW!)
• Top licensed manufacturers and models such as Lamborghini Veneno, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari FXX and Pagani Zonda R
• Newly recorded high-fidelity car motor sounds for realistic audio immersion

GET AIRBORNE
• Hit the ramps and take the race above the track
• Perform barrel rolls and wild 360º jumps
• Maneuver through the air and pull stunts while racing

NEW EXOTIC LOCATIONS
• Race in 9 different settings, such as Venice, French Guiana, Iceland, the Nevada Desert and other exciting locations!
• All tracks available in original and mirror variations in Career mode
• Discover plenty of hidden shortcuts

NEW FEATURES FOR SPEED FREAKS
• 8 seasons & 180 events in the Career mode
• Stunning visuals thanks to next-gen shaders, real-time geometry reflection & other amazing effects for a new simulation of speed!
• A detailed damage system like nothing you’ve seen before

• Check out the new Infected and Drift Gate game modes

SIMULTANEOUS MULTIPLAYER & GHOST CHALLENGES
• Simultaneous multiplayer action for up to 8 real opponents!
• Dare friends to asynchronous races in your favorite cars
• Compare scores on the new leaderboards with friends and drivers around the world
• Share your racing achievements and prove that you’re the ultimate speed machine

MUSIC TO REV YOUR SOUL
• A heart-thumping mix of amazing licensed music for your game
• Featuring real tracks from Bloc Party, Mutemath & The Crystal Method!

This is a game for fans of extreme arcade racing, with real dream cars and phenomenal graphics that will also please racing simulation enthusiasts.

Price: $0.99

Google Play: https://play.google.....ANMP.GloftA8HM

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Great game, but sadly doesn't perform too well on the "old" Nexus 7. I got this last night on my iPhone 4S and thought it was incredible and couldn't wait for the Android version to play on a tablet.

While it's certainly playable, there's times of very noticeable slowdown and stuttering on the N7. Graphics are also jaggier. Hopefully Gameloft will work on more optimization as it is the best mobile racer I've played. Until then, I'll be sticking with my iPhone.

#3 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

Great game, but sadly doesn't perform too well on the "old" Nexus 7. I got this last night on my iPhone 4S and thought it was incredible and couldn't wait for the Android version to play on a tablet.

While it's certainly playable, there's times of very noticeable slowdown and stuttering on the N7. Graphics are also jaggier. Hopefully Gameloft will work on more optimization as it is the best mobile racer I've played. Until then, I'll be sticking with my iPhone.

Yeah, slowdowns all around. Meh. But hardly unexpected. If this was a $7 game I'd never have bought it. While using boost with all 5 other racers (and a few traffic cars) in the same frame, the game is a nightmare! During the cutscene shots, it's bad too. To be honest, A7 wasn't all that impressive as well, framerate wise. But it sure was smoother, and the graphics a tad better (though in A7 the background resolution sucked).

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#4 CrisR82

CrisR82
  • LocationSpain

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

...what did they do to the controls, jesus...I can safely say it's the same case as comparing Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradice (which had by far worse controls than 3 if you ask me).

Anyway, I just tested it on my Galaxy S2...my battery is kind'a low but I played through the tutorial section and it seemed to work at 50-55fps on menium graphics (note: my device is pretty much optimized for running games)...I'm recharging my battery right now and I'll do some detailed tests in a few hours I guess...however I think there miht be color issues with it...not sure if this is just the new look, but it looks kind'a...washed out...I had the same feeling in Modern Combat 4, but in that case there were accurate screenshots to compare, here the screenshots are kind'a vague so it's hard to tell...and Gameloft has a history in completely failing with the Mali GPUs so you should guess why I'm paranoid.

Anyway thought I'd let you know that it seems to work on an decent level, but as I said, the controls are very different from 7.

Current device: Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 on Samsung official ROM based on Android 4.0.3

My Reviews on SuperGameDroid: http://www.supergame...uthor/kristian/

My DroidGamers blog: http://www.droidgame...ecks-out-games/

My Android gaming YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/crisr82

#5 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

I suppose then it is as usual. Gameloft badly (or perhaps never) optimizes games for Tegra devices. This is true for basically all of their high end games.

#6 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, slowdowns all around. Meh. But hardly unexpected. If this was a $7 game I'd never have bought it. While using boost with all 5 other racers (and a few traffic cars) in the same frame, the game is a nightmare! During the cutscene shots, it's bad too. To be honest, A7 wasn't all that impressive as well, framerate wise. But it sure was smoother, and the graphics a tad better (though in A7 the background resolution sucked).

Yeah, I agree that A7 ran and looked better. Maybe it wasn't perfect framerate wise, but I enjoyed playing it on my Nexus 7. Disappointing that I can't say the same for this one.

#7 WhoaManWtF

WhoaManWtF

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Here is my mini review after playing for a couple hours. (Yeah hours... pretty much straight.)

This is an epic racing game, and not just for a mobile game, if this game were on console (albeit with slightly better graphics ) it would be just as epic. The controls and gameplay are spot on it has some great game modes and realistic prices on cars (In game money)

OK IAPs

Well there are obviously IAPs, the game is only .99 cents after all. These so far have not been necessary at all in fact in my eyes they actually hinder game enjoyment. The purchases are nothing you cannot earn by playing the game, they are just shortcuts. Some people might complain but why? I remember playing plenty of racers over and over to earn the car I wanted in other racing games on consoles back in the day, and this unlike the other mobile racing games is enjoyable enough to do so!

All in all it is a fantastic game and everyone should get it, I play it smooth with no issues on my Nexus 7 2013 with a Moga Pro controllers, can't speak for any other device or control setup.

#8 razorracer83

razorracer83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York City, New York (United States)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  I bought Asphalt 8 Airborne on my iPod Touch 5G (which, BTW, has the same SoC as the iPhone 4S) and I was absolutely blown away with this game!  I played it so much, I had to recharge my iPod...twice!  This game feels like a street racing version of Motorstorm, a series I absolutely love.  Well worth the dollar.  But I digress.

I was going to get this for my Nexus 7, glad I came to this topic.  Looks like Gameloft was so eager to jump on the Nexus 7 Mark 2 bandwagon, that they decided to forego optimizing it for the Nexus 7 Mark 1, a situation I was clearly afraid of once the Nexus 7 Mark 2 was announced.  Anyway, again, thanks for the heads up.  I'll probably end up getting it when I hear of performance improvements for the Nexus 7 Mark 1, or when I get a Nexus 7 Mark 2, whichever comes first.  In the meantime, the iOS version on my iPod will tide me over till then, which runs and looks fantastic on it.  Besides, my Nexus 7 is a 16 GB, so I can't afford the space. 

#9 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Just an FYI. There's a very active Gameloft rep over on Touch Arcade in their Asphalt 8 thread. I sent him a PM to see if he could also join in over here.

I'd love to hear what he says regarding the effort put into the Android version, particularly in regards to Tegra devices. Hope he stops by.

#10 Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan

Community Manager for Gameloft

• Developer
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hey guys I'm Ryan, I am a Community Manager for Gameloft and as awp69 mentioned earlier, he asked if I could make my presence known here so...Here I am!

I've read over all your posts and I definitely understand your concerns with the various devices you've tried Asphalt 8 on.  I'm happy to pass this information along to the devs as they continue to improve everyone's gaming experiences.  From a development perspective it's interesting with all of the fragmentation and different hardware used in all of the Android devices but we are definitely doing our best!

The more community feedback we get, the better we can do at improving our games for the variety of devices out there.  As an Android user myself (Galaxy Nexus straight from Google, woo!) I hope I can help answer questions and those that I can't answer, I'll do my best at finding out more info for you all.

For proof I am who I say I am, please feel free to check out the blog post link in my sig :D

#11 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for joining, Ryan. If you could keep us informed on any updates to better optimize the game (particularly for Tegra devices as I can't speak to those using others), that would be great!

Love the game. Just would love to see it run well on my Nexus 7 too. :)

#12 Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan

Community Manager for Gameloft

• Developer
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for joining, Ryan. If you could keep us informed on any updates to better optimize the game (particularly for Tegra devices as I can't speak to those using others), that would be great!

Love the game. Just would love to see it run well on my Nexus 7 too. :)

Definitely, I'm more than happy to!

#13 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Sad to say, the game just got a whole lot worse for me. Earlier, it was at least running on a playable framerate...but now it is literally chugging. I tried setting the graphics to Low, and when that didn't work, rebooted my tab...but no change. The game just keeps getting "stuck" every few seconds, and the times it runs, it runs at about 10 frames per second.

Definitely, I'm more than happy to!

Nice you have you here man! Do check with the devs and see if they made any attempt to optimize this game for Tegra 3 devices in general. Thanks!

#14 CrisR82

CrisR82
  • LocationSpain

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Ok, I think I've seen enough of this game to form a quick opinion (I'll give you a huge blog-review on it when I get back)...took the last roughly 7 hours to play it and I think I can cover most of the things concerning people...so here's the deal:
  • The menu screen is radically different (I personally prefer the old one)
  • The "optional objectives for 5 stars" are back, just like in Asphalt 6
  • The car selection seems to be poor'er than Asphalt 7
  • The graphics are greatly improved, even the low setting looks just as good or even better than Asphalt 7
  • The phisycs are...let's just say "realistic" is not what comes to mind
  • Drifting mechanics are changed from arcade'ish to sim'ish...they're still good, but you'll need to get used to them
  • Graphics settings in-game (finally!!!)
  • You can switch songs in-game (finally!!! x2)
  • Better music in general (there are actual music genres now)
  • Very few, if any, bugs (no bouncing off walls to your death like in Asphalt 7)
  • Greatly improved battery drain (seriously, for a game looking like this, it's surprising how battery-economic it is)
That's as far as features go...now the main event - the performance...I decided that optimized settings on my phone won't cut it for testing since let's face it, most people won't bother to optimize a phone to play a game...so I dissabled all my tweaks 'n tuff and went in for some screenshots...to my knowledge, only Avast! Mobile Security (free version) and FPS Meter are running (doesn't impact performance in any way). NOTE: the "current framerate" in the screenshots should be ignored since it refreshes every second. Only have a look at the minimum, maximum and average.

Lowest graphics:

Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_25_42.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_26_32.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_27_26.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_28_09.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_28_58.jpg

Current device: Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 on Samsung official ROM based on Android 4.0.3

#15 CrisR82

CrisR82
  • LocationSpain

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Low graphics:

Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_14_54.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_16_05.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_17_16.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_17_34.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_20_36.jpg

Medium graphics:

Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_07_43.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_09_13.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_09_30.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_10_03.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_12_20.jpg

#16 CrisR82

CrisR82
  • LocationSpain

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Highest graphics:

Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_31_38.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_32_33.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_33_30.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_34_05.jpg Screenshot_2013_08_23_17_36_31.jpg

In terms of the results you see, I personally prefer the lowest graphics since I just want smooth gameplay, but for other people, even the highest setting will work (low framerate in a game where fast reaction is needed is not a good though though!).
It's definitely a huge, HUGE improvement from Asphalt 7's release where it was pretty much unplayable on the Galaxy S2...so I'll be onest, Gameloft surprised me with this one...well done.

HOWEVER I'd appreciate it if someone with a Adreno, PowerVR or Tegra device can confirm if the colors I see (The screenshots) are the same as the ones you see on your device.

FAQ:
  • What device are the screenshots from?
    • Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100, running unmodded (but rooted) Samsung ROM for Vodafone Spain. Android 4.1.2
  • Why use FPS Meter?
    • The stock Android "stats" are too hard to understand, this app shows you only what you need to see...and it doesn't affect game performance at all.
  • Why are all screenshots from the Tokyo track?
    • I've tested all tracks and the performance is lower on night-tracks (just like how it was in Asphalt 7)...so I just picked Tokyo.
  • Is the game worth buying / Is the game better than -insert racing game name here- ?
    • It's the best arcade'y racing game on the market. It's the best looking game on the market. It's not free. That's what I can say for now.

#17 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

HOWEVER I'd appreciate it if someone with a Adreno, PowerVR or Tegra device can confirm if the colors I see (The screenshots) are the same as the ones you see on your device

Yeah, it does look like that on my Tegra 3 A510.

Great work btw documenting the different graphics settings and their corresponding framerates on your device! Since I don't have any actual software to measure the framerate, I can only put in an educated guess that on medium settings, the game runs at around 25 fps on my tab, with some very, very sharp drops. Surprise to see yours handle this better than mine since the SGSII runs on hardware that is a generation older. 

I'll upload some screenshots for you to see later how it is on my device.

#18 HarmonyFlame

HarmonyFlame

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Honestly guys this game is actually pretty phenomenal is you happen to have capable hardware. 

I have it running on my Nexus 10 with the moga pocket. Closet console experience i have had to date on android, and probably the best racing game I have played in years. 

Also very excellent Google Play games intergration with great multiplayer. Well worth the dollar. Considering purchasing IAPs.

#19 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Honestly guys this game is actually pretty phenomenal is you happen to have capable hardware. 

I have it running on my Nexus 10 with the moga pocket. Closet console experience i have had to date on android, and probably the best racing game I have played in years. 

Also very excellent Google Play games intergration with great multiplayer. Well worth the dollar. Considering purchasing IAPs.

Yeah you do have a valid point. Tegra 3 is already over 20 months old and fast approaching the 2 year mark. However, the issue with respect to Gameloft games and Tegra 3 devices having low framerates has been there since day one dare I say...all their top-end titles released in 2012 had this issue. So aging hardware is only just part of the problem.

So anyways, you can confirm it runs very smoothly on your Nexus 10? No slowdowns whatsoever?

#20 HarmonyFlame

HarmonyFlame

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yeah you do have a valid point. Tegra 3 is already over 20 months old and fast approaching the 2 year mark. However, the issue with respect to Gameloft games and Tegra 3 devices having low framerates has been there since day one dare I say...all their top-end titles released in 2012 had this issue. So aging hardware is only just part of the problem.

So anyways, you can confirm it runs very smoothly on your Nexus 10? No slowdowns whatsoever?

I can indeed confirm it plays very smoothly even on the highest settings. Very console like experience. I would say the framerate performs at about 35-40fps on average.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users