Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Google Play redesign - Yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

How do you find the new Google Play look? On the overall, I think it is an improvement. It looks cleaner and sleeker, but to be honest, I didn't mind the previous design at all as well. It will need to get some getting used to on my part too.

However, the redesign has two glaring issues. The most major one is that the app icons are way too big, and that too unnecessarily. Keep in mind app icons are designed to be seen on a small footprint on your device, not blown up as big as they are currently on the Google Play app, making them look ugly. Also, due to the large icons, lesser apps are displayed on the page as you scroll through lists, and loading times seem a tad longer as well.

The second issue is that there is no feature list!!? I go straight to a recommended app page each time I open the app. I really hope Google didn't discontinue the weekly featured apps/games list. Not that it was any useful to me, but it was always good to see some curated content.

So that's my 2 cents. Feel free to share yours.

PS: This is merely a redesign. Functionally and feature wise, this is the exact same Google Play as before.

PSS: Download the new Google Play APK (v4.0.25) securely from the DroidGamers server if you don't already have it on your device (it will take up to a month to reach everybody throughout the world if you wait for an OTA update).

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

It looks OK. But I would much have preferred the time and money spent on this had gone to functionality. I didn't mind the old style. I just want things like more game categories, a way to see newly relesed games ( and no the top new released games is not the same thing) and better searching.

Ditch redesigns I want something that actually works.

#3 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Some screenshots of the update on my 10-inch tab with a resolution of 1280x800. Notice the large app icons.

Screenshot_2013-04-10-01-26-05.png

Screenshot_2013-04-10-01-27-03.png

Screenshot_2013-04-10-01-27-53.png

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#4 ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason

Pro Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'm with Awp69. A "new releases" section tops my list of changes I'd like to see implemented to the play store. This is a nice looking skin I guess, but until there's a new releases section, this will always be second fiddle to the iOS app store...

#5 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm with Awp69. A "new releases" section tops my list of changes I'd like to see implemented to the play store. This is a nice looking skin I guess, but until there's a new releases section, this will always be second fiddle to the iOS app store...

Why? Even iOS has done away with a new releases section. I am definitely game for such a section, but there are more pressing issues such as streamlining the search and increasing the number of categories for games.

#6 ScottColbert

ScottColbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sorry but iTunes is a flaming mess, bloated and buggy. When you can access it on a website like Google Play let me know.

Love the redesign though for the Play Store. As an old fart, it's much easier on the eyes. 

My horror novella now available

e-book http://www.amazon.co...hf_gw_p_t_3_5K6

paperback  http://www.amazon.co...bed wire kisses

#7 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

iOS does have new and noteworthy that is helpful. But Android needs a new release section even more just because most big iOS releases come out on Wednesday night. And it seems easier for gaming sites to know what is coming. So half the time even those reporting on Android don't know what's coming and when.

But the categories and search also need major help

#8 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

iOS does have new and noteworthy that is helpful. But Android needs a new release section even more just because most big iOS releases come out on Wednesday night. And it seems easier for gaming sites to know what is coming. So half the time even those reporting on Android don't know what's coming and when.

The biggest problem with a New Release section is that unlike on iOS, anyone can publish any junk onto Google Play. On iOS, when they had this list, the number of junk games was manageable as they had to be screened by Apple beforehand. Imagine such a list on Android, showing 500 new games a day, of which only 50 are decently playable. Would be a bad image for Android and Google. No?

#9 ScottColbert

ScottColbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Because there's no wait time between submission and publishing, there's no set day for apps to come out on the Play store which is why Google probably removed the just released category last year. 

#10 ScottColbert

ScottColbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

There is an app called Hooked that does show the newest releases, it's a pretty decent app I use a lot. https://play.google....HBzLnRvcm8iXQ..

#11 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

The biggest problem with a New Release section is that unlike on iOS, anyone can publish any junk onto Google Play. On iOS, when they had this list, the number of junk games was manageable as they had to be screened by Apple beforehand. Imagine such a list on Android, showing 500 new games a day, of which only 50 are decently playable. Would be a bad image for Android and Google. No?

Believe me even with Apple's screening process, there's plenty of crap on iOS too. That's probably why even they just handpick games that are "new and noteworthy." I guess it's just more frustrating to find out about Android releases. Since Google is known for it's search engine, I don't see why they couldn't implement something like more categories and give the option to sort by release date that would at least help. Like click on RPGs, then sort by release date, avg customer review, etc. I feel sorry for Android news sites just because they're often just as I the dark as we are.

That said, I'll have to check out that Hooked app. Thanks for mentioning it Scott.

#12 ScottColbert

ScottColbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Believe me even with Apple's screening process, there's plenty of crap on iOS too. That's probably why even they just handpick games that are "new and noteworthy." I guess it's just more frustrating to find out about Android releases. Since Google is known for it's search engine, I don't see why they couldn't implement something like more categories and give the option to sort by release date that would at least help. Like click on RPGs, then sort by release date, avg customer review, etc. I feel sorry for Android news sites just because they're often just as I the dark as we are.

That said, I'll have to check out that Hooked app. Thanks for mentioning it Scott.

No problem, it's not perfect but has been useful. Also, the Play app does have a top new paid and top new free if you go into the games category. Far from perfect as well but better than nothing. Almost. :D

#13 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 447 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Oh and I did want on say that iTunes is definately bloated and slow, but the larger range of categories definately helps. But, honestly, I rely more on iOS news sites and forums to know what's coming.

But from my understanding, it's more difficult even for sites like this to know what and when things are coming. Seems like there has to be a better way for even those reporting on Android to get information quicker. Every Wednesday sites like TA and STP, put out a list of games coming out in the "big game night". There's always going to be smaller indie devs that don't get mentioned. But the majority of worthwhile games get mentioned.

I don't think anyone can deny that it's more difficult to find out about new releases on Android over iOS.

#14 ScottColbert

ScottColbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Oh and I did want on say that iTunes is definately bloated and slow, but the larger range of categories definately helps. But, honestly, I rely more on iOS news sites and forums to know what's coming.

But from my understanding, it's more difficult even for sites like this to know what and when things are coming. Seem like there has to be a better way for even those reporting on Android to get information quicker. Every Wednesday sites like TA and STP, out out a list of games coming out in the "big game night". They'd always going to be smaller indie devs that don't get mentioned. But the majority of worthwhile games get mentioned.

I don't think anyone can deny that it's more difficult to find out about new releases on Android over iOS.

Part of that issue is Android was never really touted as a gaming device-it's only been in the last two years or so when devs slowly started migrating over that gaming started to get some traction. I honestly do all my gaming on my Nexus 7 and use my phone for phone-y stuff. Calls, texts, internet, etc. Apple-almost from the start always incorporated games/gaming into keynote remarks. They made it almost an integral aspect of iproducts. They also have two fairly different customer bases.

With the huge success of the Nexus 7 and 10 (as well as Kindle) I think a lot of that may change and I suspect we'll see something at the Google I/O next month. 

I'd be happier with more categories-namely an RPG one. 

#15 Steez

Steez

Pro Member

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Love the new design, one thing I would like to see implemented is a sales list.  I don't think it would be too difficult for Google to program a script that detects price drops across the board on a daily basis, rather than just feature certain sales like they do now.  Also a refined search tool, as weird as that sounds coming from the search engine king.  But I've, on multiple occasions, tried to locate an app that I knew existed but would have to wade through pages and pages of less-relevant apps/games, even though I typed the exact title.

you know my steez ^_-

#16 Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu

• Members
  • 562 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Love the new design, one thing I would like to see implemented is a sales list.  I don't think it would be too difficult for Google to program a script that detects price drops across the board on a daily basis, rather than just feature certain sales like they do now.

Because to do that would mean they would need to modify how they permit sales in a variety of ways. Otherwise this can and will be abused with the way the Google Play store is set up. I won't go into detail making a long post about how they can, because I'm sure you can come up with a few ways off the top of your head.

#17 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Because to do that would mean they would need to modify how they permit sales in a variety of ways. Otherwise this can and will be abused with the way the Google Play store is set up. I won't go into detail making a long post about how they can, because I'm sure you can come up with a few ways off the top of your head.

Yup, definitely such a feature would be open to abuse. As it is, I've heard of iOS games being listed as $50 only to then be dropped down to $0.99 to be picked up by sales tracking apps. Therefore, this is not a good idea in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users