Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Eden to Green by Zynga

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

The machines have invaded the beautiful planet of Eden!

Alien machines have come to steal the natural resources of Eden. They’ve all but completely destroyed Eden and there are only a small handful of plants and trees left alive. Euphoria, the natural energy of Eden needed for life to survive is dwindling fast.

But now it’s time to fight back!!

Eden to GREEN is an addictive blend of casual-strategy and fast-paced battles with iconic plants versus comic machines. Create an army from a wide variety of plants to fight back against the alien machines and restore the once beautiful vistas! Increase 'Euphoria' by planting more and once on the offensive, plant better plants to launch an all-out counter-attack. March on until the war against the machines is won!

== Eden to GREEN FEATURES ==

l Over 40 plants and trees all beautifully animated and rendered in realtime 3D using Unreal Engine 3
l Choose between Expansion, Offensive and Defensive plants to execute your counter-attack
l Rise against the machines in over 70 maps
l Become friends and borrow plants from each other
l More maps, plants and campaigns will be constantly available via
updates
l Optimized for Tegra devices featuring high resolution textures, highest quality shaders, tons of on-screen characters and beautiful effects galore

Price: Free

Google Play: https://play.google....nis.edentogreen

screenshot04.jpg

screenshot05.jpg

screenshot06.jpg

screenshot07.jpg

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

I've spent some time playing the game over the past couple of days, and my impressions for the game itself and its IAP mechanism is as follows:

Game impressions:

Off the bat, I must say this is amongst the most polished games I've seen on Android. Not just the fact it runs smoothly, but that it has got impressive, Pixar quality dare I say, visuals and animations. Loading times are also kept to a minimum.

As for the game itself, it plays in the form of a turn-based strategy title. In your turn, you can pick your own plants and place them on the green. You have a set number of points to spend on each turn, and different plants have different points allocations. So, then the enemy (made up of robots here) advances and your offensive plants will attack them. Your plants cannot move forward...they will always remain stationary.

You start off each game with a small patch of green. So far, I have come across two different game variations (these may be the only two variations, but I can't confirm). One is "kill all robots", which is self-explanatory, and the other is "save the tree", where you have to grow your patch of green using certain plants and let it spread to the parts on the map where the chains bounding the tree are tied up to. Enemies are sometime generated from oil pipes, and to stop them from generating, the same concept of spreading the green applies. Basically, the moment you spread the green to an enemy component, it gets destroyed.

You can purchase plants using gold coins or gems to build your "backyard". Each plant can only be used a set number of times in battle, but this can be increased by "cloning them". You can also evolve the plants to make them stronger.

One major negative is that the game requires Internet connection or it won't even start up! I find this baffling as beyond inviting Facebook friends, there isn't much to do online in the game. Everything is played locally.

IAP mechanism explained:

You can only purchase one of the currencies via IAP, and that is the gems. Gold coins can only be earned by playing the game itself. You do earn some gems by completing the game stages though. Gems cannot be converted into gold coins. Everything in the game is done using gold coins, except buying timer refills, powerups and purchasing Gold or Silver grade plants.

Every game that you play costs 10 timer points. You start off with 30 points. When you level up, this refills fully automatically. Of course though, keep in mind that the further you get in, the less often your will level up. Also, leveling up each time gives you 1 extra timer point. For every 10 minutes waited, you will earn 1 point. So theoretically, if you have only 1 point left, you will need to wait 90 minutes just to play another game. And then wait another 100 to play the next game.

Initially, you level up quickly, so in the first few games, you don't feel the effect of the timers. But by the 3rd mission, if you lose the 3rd game in that mission, you are pretty much screwed (like me). To refill the timer point bar, you need 20 gems. 30 gems can be bought for $2.99 (the cheapest purchase tier). If you forfeit or quit a game, you also lose the 10 timer points.

So there you have it, a stinking implementation of timer-based IAPs from Zynga, runing what otherwise seems like a pretty good game. They really must be having a intra-developer battle with Gameloft and EA to see who can come up with the worst implementation of timers in a game.

PS: This is based on the limited release version of the game. There is a scant chance that Zynga may rework the IAP model here, but generally you get the idea how it will eventually turn out to be.

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#3 Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu

• Members
  • 562 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

All of the IAPs seem okay to me except for the timer. I hate having to wait to play or pay each time, the whole nickel-and-diming.

Remember before there were regional and national calling plans for phone service, you would pay X cents a minute per call regardless. You still do in some cases, particularly for international calls and different rates/plans for specific countries. But a lot of people in a lot of countries can now make local calls (or even national calls) without it costing $0.25/minute just because it was a cell phone call. They even offer unlimited voice, unlimited text, and in some cases unlimited data plans.

So compare that to mobile apps. We use to pay $0.99 for 10 refills of our game timer to play again rather than wait, but now we can pay $10 upfront and have unlimited playing with no timers. Oh wait.... it's the opposite :P We seem to have devolved.

#4 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Out now worldwide!

I actually had fun playing this game when it just went into a limited release 2 months back. But then I deleted it because I could only get 9 plants and the rest were premium plants, but I'm certain (or rather, hopeful) the lack of plants for free users has been addressed. Now I kinda regret deleting it cause I'll need to start over after putting a decent amount of time into this previously.

You can read my impressions on the game above, but some things (especially balance wise) may have changed. Pretty fun TBS, and am thoroughly gutted there isn't a premium no-IAP nonsense version of this cause that would just rock!

UPDATE: Just played the new version and this is a big step up. From about 7 or 8 regular plants before, there now are 18 regular plants (that can be bought via the game's primary currency). Meanwhile, the amount of gems you earn is significantly higher than before, so you can also get a number of premium plants. As such, I'd recommend this game. The plant variety is brilliant (different attack range, attack rate and attack damage for example). The timers are still there, but the timer recovery period has been halved. You should still be able to play 3-6 games each sitting. The timer is the only limiting factor of the game to me.

PS: If you download now, there a special 60 gem bonus reward. 50 gems cost $4.99 via IAP, so yeah, it's a pretty good deal there. Allows you to get an additional two or three premium plants with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users