Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

They Need To Be Fed 2 ($1.99 > FREE)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

★★★ Free today with App of the Day ★★★

Google Play: https://play.google.....tntbf2_special (Take note: The free version is labelled as special)

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

This is the first time I'm hearing of the App of the Day service, and unlike iOS, I don't see the benefit of the dev doing this on Android. Reason being, for this promotion, a separate app had to be created, and even if it gets crazy amounts of downloads, after the promotion is over this will not be reflected in the chart position of the paid version. These promotions work well on iOS because the same app goes from paid to free then paid, so whatever download boost it gets will be translated into chart position.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I had absolutely no regrets getting this at 2 bucks, and for FREE?!? Come on...!

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#3 Kashmieer

Kashmieer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAntalya / Turkey

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

OMG! Awesomeeee :). Thanks for posting this Himmat. 

#4 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 457 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

While the free for a day thing on iOS has gotten out of hand and I see Himmat's point of not getting chart jumps from things like this, I still think it can help some devs who aren't selling well. It can create word of mouth and also make you think about getting the dev's future efforts.

If a Dev is only selling like 10 copies of a game and gets 10,000 downloads going free, he could wind up with 500 or more paid downloads from word of mouth. They still end up ahead. Not sure if that's the case here, but there are thousands of other devs who may be sitting at just a couple of downloads and this type of thing can't hurt.

That said, it's a fine line because on iOS, it happens so frequently, it can put off people who were early adopters.

#5 2Dcube

2Dcube

Game Developer

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Actually the game is selling well on itself :)

I'm doing this to create awareness in general (and reports from others were positive)

And also to look for issues with certain devices.

It being a separate app is something I like, because it does not affect my rating (the paid version is only rated by customers who actually paid).

Also, if people want future updates they will have to buy the paid version eventually.

About rankings on iOS, from what I've read Apple has implemented ways to make sure your app goes to its original ranking when you go back to paid. In any case it does not seem to work as well as it used to.

#6 SGDjames

SGDjames

Flashy Moderator

• Moderators
  • 449 posts
  • LocationCanada

User's Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

It being a separate app is something I like, because it does not affect my rating (the paid version is only rated by customers who actually paid).

Also, if people want future updates they will have to buy the paid version eventually.

Those are some good points. I have seen many games/apps just get slammed by bad reviews after being the App of the Day, so it's nice this doesn't reflect on the paid version.

Great job on this game though. I'm loving it. 

Signature1-2.png

#7 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 457 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was curious about this "App of the Day" program and from what I've found is that the app for the promotion itself isn't available in the US.

In fact, the only way I found it is by searching the Internet (ironically it comes up in a regular Google search but not in a search within Google Play).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users