Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Wizard Ops Tactics by Phyken Media

Turn Based Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Part Action, Part Strategy, Total Wizardry - Battle Friends in Wizard Ops Tactics! Are YOU ready to command a crazy commando team known as the Wizard Ops?

Prepare to BATTLE your friends and the rest of the world to see who is the ULTIMATE Wizard Commander!

Wizard Ops Tactics is an asynchronous, turn based, tactical game that allows you to battle your friends whenever and wherever you like! Build and customize your armies for maximum destruction!

Best of all it's FREE! So play it now and let the battles begin!

Price: Free

Google Play: https://play.google....izardopstactics

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu

• Members
  • 562 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Neat. Too bad it's a freemium. Though, I did like the original Wizard Ops (a far different game mind you).

#3 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I just downloaded this, it seems pretty cool so far. Haven't done too much since I'm waiting for my opponents to move. The humor is a nice touch.

The freemium model seems like it's done right. The only thing you can buy is the in game currency which you get through normal play anyway. You can also get a permanent gold doubler or xp doubler for a few bucks. The currency is used to buy packs that give you new units and such as well as allow you to use special commander attacks during a battle.

This looks like it's a solid multiplayer TBS game.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#4 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

After getting a couple games in, I have to say that I really enjoy this game. This game is a blast and tactics fans will enjoy it.

My game name is VidGamrJ, so if anyone wants to play against me, just do a search for my name when starting a battle.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#5 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I may give this a shot over the weekend, but being free and all, can you share how much does the freemium element affect the gameplay? Is there any disadvantage for a newcomer against those who have been playing for some time?

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#6 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Here's how the freemium model works. There is one currency in the game, gold. You earn gold from winning battles, pulling off combo attacks, or buying it.

Gold is used for 2 things, buying booster packs which give you random troops and equipment for your army, and equipping a special power to use during a battle.

The special powers are a bunch of random things you can choose from. Each one that you purchase can only be used once and only in the battle you purchased it for. They are relatively cheap to purchase. They range from buffing your army's attack for a turn, a healing AOE, a poison AOE, elemental AOE, and even crazier ones like a giant crab battle that damages anyone caught in the scuffle. They're pretty much like CO powers from Advance Wars if you've ever played that. Not quite necessary, but can help change the tide of battle if done right.

You can build multiple armies with your troops to do battle with. Each army has a strength rating of 1-3 stars with 3 stars being the strongest. When you battle other players, both armies have to be the same star level to battle. So a 1 star army will never fight a 2 or 3 star army. I'm not sure how the game calculates how many stars your army is valued at though. Could be levels, equipment, troop types, or the amount of troops in the army.

The game is completely playable whether you spend money or not. A player who wishes not to spend will never be at a disadvantage against a player who does spend. Since gold is acquired steadily throughout battles, it's just a matter of how fast you want that gold. You pay up front and get the gold instantly, or play a few battles and collect it over time, choice is yours.

There is also the option to permanent double how much gold and exp you earn in battles. They are priced at $2.99 each, and if you enjoy the game it might be worth looking into. But like I said, it's up to you. The game doesn't restrict anything, prevent you from doing anything, or make it unfair to non-paying players.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#7 phykenSkott

phykenSkott

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm a designer on this game and I wanted to thank you all for giving it a shot. We tried really hard to make the freemium aspects of the game as painless as possible (we're often mortified by its implementation in some other spaces), so it means a lot to hear you all backing us up on that.

The star level of an army is basically the sum of each unit's star points. An army with 50 or fewer star points will be worth 1 star, 51-100 is 2 stars, and 101-150 is 3 stars. Every unit (and weapon for that matter) is worth a base number of star points that will go up if you equip weapons and additional abilities on to that unit. More powerful weapons and abilities will require more star points to keep the playing-field level for veterans and newcomers alike.

Anyway, the point of me posting here beyond thanking you guys was to also offer to respond to questions and get some feedback directly from you guys. I'm glad you're enjoying it, but if you could change anything, what would you change? Is there anything that annoys you? Confuses you? We're working to improve the user experience, but any feedback you all could offer would be really helpful. I also wouldn't mind offering some tips or strategies :)

Have fun and keep wizarding!

Skott Bechara

Designer/Scripter @ PhykenMedia

#8 Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu

• Members
  • 562 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi phykenSkott. So far I haven't downloaded and tried it yet, even though I like Wizard Ops. I'll tell you the main reason is that from what I've seen and heard, it appears to be PvP only. I prefer a less competitive environment, i.e. one I can play single player offline. So that kind of scared me away from trying it.

#9 phykenSkott

phykenSkott

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

It's true. The game is a PvP game so tensions can run a little high. If you want, feel free to challenge me to a game at username phykenSkott, and I can show you some of the ropes in a nerves-free environment :) If you don't like it, don't worry! It's free to download.

While we'd love to have some single player features in there, having an AI opponent is a little beyond the current scope of the project. Because the armies are all so customizable, it'd cost us a lot of time and money to add an AI that was even a rudimentary challenge. If the game gets enough traction and keeps up a decent following, we do have plans for a puzzle mode, however! I can't give a whole lot of details on that, but it will be a single player way to pass the time between turns if you're not up for starting new games.

Anyway, if it's just not your cup o' tea, we hope you'll stick with us for our next project. I can't talk much about that either, but rest assured: it will be single-player focused and fistfulls of real-time action fun.

Skott Bechara

#10 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for clearing up how the stars worked. It started making sense after I earned enough gold to buy the really good booster pack and my guys and weapons gained a few levels to unlock some abilities.

My initial army that I started with hasn't lost a game yet so I'm keeping them as is. I just made a nice 99 point 2 star army that I'm excited to test in the field, and I also got a relatively weak 115 point 3 star army that I don't expect to win much with but it's as good as I can get at the moment.

I like that medics can't heal themselves. It makes them even more valuable than they already are and makes you want to protect them more instead of using them as a trooper that can heal.

I'm enjoying the game as it is at the moment and really can't think of too many ideas right now, but I'll let you know if I do. Obviously it would be nice to have more maps, but I'm sure you guys are working on that already. It would also be cool to eventually see 3-4 player battles.

My only gripe with the game is that people don't take their turn fast enough, haha.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#11 phykenSkott

phykenSkott

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

My suggestion is to start up a lot of battles if you haven't already. I have like 30 going at the moment and every time I check, I tend to have anywhere between 3-10 games waiting on my input. Since we don't restrict the number of games you have going in any meaningful way, you shouldn't have an issue with that. We didn't intend this, but at the moment, a large quantity of matches will see you with the least amount of downtime. Hopefully once we start our proper marketing push, the influx of new users in a freshly updated game will mitigate your wait times. Sorry about that!

Skott Bechara

#12 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

No worries, I was kind of joking anyway. I got a lot of games going, I'm also waiting for a lot to expire. I think I just happened to get a few games with people who decided they weren't going to stick around and play. I'm glad you guys added the time limit.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#13 VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ

The Thumbs Up Moderator

• Moderators
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

After playing this for a couple weeks now, it's safe to say that Wizard Ops Tactics is one of my favorite Android games.

The game is just a blast, especially once you get yourself a good amount of units, weapons, and abilities to craft an army from. There's a lot to choose from and you really have to think about what role you want your different units to play in the battle and equip their weapons and abilities appropriately.

Of course you're going to find a lot of good players out there too. At the beginning, I was having trouble finding players that stuck with the game, let alone one's that had any skill. But now my friend list is getting populated with good, daily players and some of the battles are pretty exciting. There is one guy I play against that has steam rolled me in every game. He really has me fine tuning my army and strategy in between battles. We're about half way into our current one right now, and it's still too early to call, but I think this might be the one where I finally trump him.

Anyway, just wanted to come back here and say that I'm still loving this game after a couple weeks. It's definitely got some lasting power, and I plan on playing this for a long time and even purchased the options to double your gold and experience. I'm looking forward to seeing what the developers have in mind for expansion.
Gaming on Nexus 7

#14 phykenSkott

phykenSkott

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Thanks so much for your support. I've been having a great time playing against you! We're just about ready to launch our next big update (look for it in a couple weeks!), which will include a new unit and a new weapon that will really shake up the gameplay! Sorry I've been a little slow with my turns--we're also bringing in a slew of achievements and leaderboards, and I've been burried working on this!

Seriously, it means so much to hear that you're enjoying it. Thank you a million times!

Skott Bechara

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turn Based, Multiplayer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)