Welcome to the DroidGamers Forums and the Mecha Indie Android game store!

Welcome to the official DroidGamers forums as well as the Mecha Indie Android game store, or just Mecha for short. Whether you are a fan of the site or an Android game developer, everyone is welcome here. Developers can post about their new games, set up their own blog to stay in touch with fans, hold tournaments and giveaways, and even sell their games right here. Fans of the site can talk to their favorite developers, buy indie Android games, start up their own blogs, and be apart of the biggest and best Android gaming related website there is!

Photo

Quadropus Rampage - From the creators of Towelfight 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I really enjoyed Towelfight 2, and though that was released not too long ago (somewhere in late Feb), Butterscotch Shenanigans already have another game lined up for release. It is a rogue-like action-RPG. Judging from the trailer, they have maintained the same visual style here from their previous game, and the humour is still there.

Shot the guys an email and they say it *should* be out on June 6th. And it's gon be free. Can't wait to play this!

Trailer:

Current device: Acer Iconia Tab A510 (Android 4.1)

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#2 ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason

Pro Member

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

And it's gon be free.

Uh oh... Free is almost NEVER actually free.

#3 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Uh oh... Free is almost NEVER actually free.

I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. Towelfight 2 had IAPs as well but those were explicitly labelled as "cheats" and really just playing through regularly allowed you to obtain all of the in-game items.

Favourite Android games: Anomaly Korea/Warzone Earth, Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Shadowgun, Wind-up Knight, Auralux, Puddle, Super Hexagon, Devil's Attorney, Heroes Call

#4 BscotchShenani

BscotchShenani

Game Developer

• Developer
  • 12 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Yo! We're the devs of Towelfight 2 and Quadropus Rampage. Thanks for the shout-out!

With regard to the concern about "free" -- we sympathize completely. There's definitely a lot of hate out there toward the freemium model, and with good reason. "Free" typically means "we're going to put roadblocks and ads in your face and extort cash out of you until you pay up or quit." We don't think that's acceptable. We've tried to be very conscious of the things we dislike about freemium and to avoid those things outright. And there are plenty of freemium games out there that do an amazing job (LoL, we're lookin' at you).

For starters, we aren't doing ads. Many games spam you with ads until you pay, which makes sense from a business standpoint, but makes for a terrible player experience. Plus, you aren't gaining any value for your dollar as a player -- you're just paying not to be hassled. We aren't doing that.

So Quadropus Rampage's monetization will be solely based on IAP. Our philosophy for in-app purchases is that the player should never feel like they need to spend money on the game, but they should definitely feel like they want to at times. To us, that's the key difference between IAP done well and IAP done badly.

Quadropus has a boatload of content to unlock, so that you are always progressing toward several goals at a time and never feel like you've hit a "paywall". We have seven unique upgrade tracks to make your Quadropus just generally more powerful, and we also have more than 20 "Masteries", which are achievements that, once unlocked, allow you to choose skills that make you more powerful. You can spend money to accelerate the unlocks on any of these things, but you will always be very close to the next unlock, so there is a steady stream of character improvement even without spending money. Plus, you'll be unlocking masteries and upgrades in parallel, which brings lots of quick character advancement. And to top it off, you can get up to a 50% discount on the unlock prices of masteries if you have made progress toward finishing the achievement.

The reason we moved to a freemium model for Quadropus Rampage is simply that paid games have a much harder time attracting a large audience, especially for a new studio with no name recognition. For example, here are the numbers for Towelfight 2, to date:

2,651 iOS Sales
1,538 Android Sales
2,438 iOS Pirates
34,091 Android Pirates

These numbers are dwarfed by the size of an audience we could get with a free title. Plus, over 95% of our Android users and about half of our iOS users pirated the game, likely because it costs 99 cents. As it turned out, lots of people wanted to play it, but very few people wanted to pay for it. We made a free game -- we just didn't know it at the time.

While it's great that the pirates are playing the game, and we're happy for the exposure, they are operating "off the grid". That is, our app rank doesn't jump up in the app stores when a pirate downloads it, they can't review it, and they tend not to contact us for support if something goes wrong with the game. They play the game in the shadows. With a freemium title, we can try to move some of those people into the light so that we can interact with them as active fans of our games. We're hoping that Quadropus Rampage can accomplish this goal.

I hope that alleviates your concerns!

#5 awp69

awp69

Elite Member

• Members
  • 457 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Wow, and people think it's a myth that there's more piracy on Android than on iOS. Looking at those numbers, it's stunning how much piracy there was on Android -- at least of this game -- compared to iOS. That really sucks. I can see why there's more free versions of games with ad-support on Android (many of the same games on iOS that are only paid, but are free on Android with the ads and an unlock if you want to get rid of them).

I too dislike the freemium model unless it's "done right" and sounds like you're going in that direction. When big companies like EA and Gameloft are literally gouging millions of dollars from players with games like RR3 and Dungeon Hunter 4, that is where it's getting out of control.

Probably too late in your development, but did you think about having an in-game unlock? Personally, I think that's the best freemium model. Give players a chance to check a few levels of the game out and if they like, they can pay to unlock the rest of the game. To me, that's a great balance to get more people interested and still make money.

Anyway, loved Towelfight 2 and am definitely looking forward to this one as well!

#6 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation guys! Although, to be honest, I am having a hard time believing that the number of iOS pirateers are less than those who actually buy the game!! Could it be that Android pirateers are easier to track since you don't need to root/jailbreak an Android device to install pirated software? For iOS devices meanwhile, there is the possibility that certain jailbroken devices are totally "off the grid", hence not allowing you to effectively track them?

PS: The sales numbers are indeed disturbing, and saddening. Hope the new models bring your better ROI. 

#7 BscotchShenani

BscotchShenani

Game Developer

• Developer
  • 12 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

We hope so too!

It is always possible that people are doing things to circumvent our analytics. Even something as simple as playing the game without being connected to the web is enough to keep us from gathering data on whether people are playing or not. It's hard to say! But yes, our ultimate goal is to make full, paid games, but our status as new developers and our relatively small fanbase prevents us from taking that route at the moment.

#8 josue85

josue85

Pro Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

I was part of the proud 1538 who paid for Towelfight 2 on Android.  I completely sympathize with devs on piracy, and I trust this developer especially not to abuse the IAP system.  I'll be downloading it day 1.  The explanation above should really be a post on the main site, as it really gives a good breakdown to what devs are facing.

#9 Webcrawler

Webcrawler

Elite Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

The explanation above should really be a post on the main site, as it really gives a good breakdown to what devs are facing.

Agreed

#10 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, it'd actually make a good frontpage story. Nice idea josue85!

#11 ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason

Pro Member

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Wow that's absolutely ridiculous! It completely baffles me that people aren't even willing to pay a single dollar for a great game... I completely understand your move to free in that case. It's just such a damn shame that devs are forced into this type of stuff. I paid for my copy of Towelfight as well and even though it sucks that as a legit (non-pirating) android gamer that I have to put up with this irritating move to free-to-play everything, woth figures like those above, I honestly don't blame devs for making moves like that. Thanks so much for taking the time out to comment on this and I really hope this move to free works out better for you folks!

#12 Mongadillo

Mongadillo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the explanation guys! Although, to be honest, I am having a hard time believing that the number of iOS pirateers are less than those who actually buy the game!! Could it be that Android pirateers are easier to track since you don't need to root/jailbreak an Android device to install pirated software? For iOS devices meanwhile, there is the possibility that certain jailbroken devices are totally "off the grid", hence not allowing you to effectively track them?

PS: The sales numbers are indeed disturbing, and saddening. Hope the new models bring your better ROI. 

There are absolutely as many or more pirates on iOS as there are paying customers.  My game proves that, we track the app metrics on the back end, and can see every cracked version playing.  It was released February 10, 2013, and as soon as the crack was made, the numbers started flowing in.  It currently has 25% valid and 75% cracked installs daily.  That number doesn't change much.  At the lowest, it drops to 50/50.  

My game, Survivor Z, is for iOS only, my original game was ported to Android and iOS, I made 100% of my dev cost back in just a few weeks in iOS, and after 15 months, I am still in the red on the cost to port to Android.  

I dont track metrics on that game, but I'm about to start, but I have a feeling all these "returned for refund" notifications I am getting are just people downloading and side-loading the game for free then asking for a refund.  The 15 minute no questions asked return policy Google has is the single stupidest thing I have ever seen.  

My 2¢

Ed Anderson
Creator,
ZDAY Survival Simulator
Survivor Z 

Ed Anderson

Game Designer, Creator

ZDAY Survival Simulator

Survivor Z

#13 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

The devs have released the official gameplay trailer to the game. It's been also confirmed it'd launch next week, 6th of June.

I have had the chance to play an early build of the game, and it is a total blast. Addicting, fun and non-intrusive IAPs. This is one game you should keep on your radar for next week!

#14 SGDjames

SGDjames

Flashy Moderator

• Moderators
  • 449 posts
  • LocationCanada

User's Awards

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm super stoked to finally get my hands on it!

Btw, I think you mean June 6th... not May...

Signature1-2.png

#15 Himmat

Himmat

Awesome Sauce

• Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm super stoked to finally get my hands on it!

Btw, I think you mean June 6th... not May...

Yeah, meant that. Thanks for pointing it out.

#16 Webcrawler

Webcrawler

Elite Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

The level progression, attention to detail, and gameplay in QR is astoundingly well done.

This is one game you should keep on your radar for next week!

I wholeheartedly agree, Quadropus Rampage kicks ass!!(or is that tentacle?)

#17 josue85

josue85

Pro Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Can't wait for this.  I've been wanting to play a game of this type (without feeling like I have to buy IAP ever 10 minutes) for a long time.  I trust this developer and will buy something regardless as a thanks for their work.

#18 Webcrawler

Webcrawler

Elite Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Here's a hands on video preview I recorded. Quadropus Rampage is seriously the best game I've played all year, no joke.

#19 josue85

josue85

Pro Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

It's out!  And it's *awesome*.  Played on the train this morning, and nearly missed my stop because I was having so much fun.  Congrats to the devs.  To everyone else, the game is free to play, so go try it for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users