Well we have been reporting on an update for Minecraft: Pocket Edition we have labeled as the 0.5.1 update, which is what this was supposed to be, but now Mojang has turned around and labeled this update as the official 0.6.0 update instead. That means everything in the 0.5.1 update we have been talking about will actually arrive as 0.6.0. This also means that everything we were talking about before as coming in the 0.6.0 update will actually arrive in 0.7.0. Confusing isn’t it?
While we aren’t sure exactly why they decided to label this update as 0.6.0 instead of sticking with the original 0.5.1 but Mojang has released an official changelog for this new update and it confirms everything we’ve mentioned up until now. Signs, Clouds (high-end Android devices only), Bluer skies, Gravity effecting Sand and Gravel, new blocks for creative mode including Smooth Stone Bricks, Quartz, Mossy Stone and so on.
You will also be able to craft stairs out of Nether Brick, Sandstone, Smooth Stone Brick, Quartz and slabs out of these as well. The Nether Reactor will be shooting out more items than before including the new Nether Brick.
Minecraft: Pocket Edition 0.6.0 changelog:
– Baby animals
– Fancy clouds
– Improved D-pad
– Stonecutter for crafting stone blocks
– Sheep can be colored with dyes
– New block types: Netherrack, Nether Brick, Block of Quartz with 2 variants (pillar and chiseled), mossy/cracked Smooth Stone Brick variants (creative only), chiseled/smooth Sandstone variants
– New stairs: Nether Brick, Sandstone, Smooth Stone Brick, Quartz
– New slabs: Sandstone
– New item: Nether Brick (smelted from netherrack and crafted into nether brick tile)
– Upside-down stairs, corner stairs
– Slabs can be placed in up position (needs testing on small screens)
– Sand and Gravel are affected by gravity
– Recipes for crafting slabs give 6 slabs instead of 3 (as in PC version)
– Nether Reactor spawns Netherrack blocks instead of Obsidian
– The fog and sky color have changed
– The Nether Reactor now spawns more items
– Cows drop Leather
– Melons had several bugs where they would spawn too fast and where they shouldn’t
Also Armor, which we though might make it into 0.5.1 but most likely the future 0.6.0 update (now labeled as 0.7.0), actually did make it into this update which means we can now craft and wear various types of armor. There is also a new Stonecutter for cutting stone blocks. We will also have to deal with baby animals in-game as well.
Overall, the update is a lot bigger than expected which is why Mojang probably switched the version from 0.5.1 to 0.6.0. So now real multiplayer and some of the other features we talked about previously as arriving in 0.6.0 will instead be in 0.7.0. We should expect the update to become available next week although there is a chance it could arrive this week. It all depends on if the iOS version get approved this week or next.
Website Referenced: Mojang