We’ve covered the 0.6.0 Minecraft: Pocket Edition update fairly extensively already in a few posts over the past couple of weeks. Well for those of you who have been eagerly waiting for the update to go live on Google Play, your wait has finally ended and you can now download the update so you can start playing with baby animals.
Originally labeled as version 0.5.1, Mojang decided to change this update from a minor version change to a major one since this update grew substantially in size over the past month with many more features being added then originally planned. That is why this update version is now 0.6.0.
New block and slabs in Creative mode
For those that missed our previous posts about what is arriving with this update, here is the full changelog for your viewing pleasure:
– Baby animals
– Fancy clouds
– Improved D-pad
– Stonecutter for crafting stone blocks
– Sheep can be colored with dyes
– New block types: Netherrack, Nether Brick, Block of Quartz with 2 variants (pillar and chiseled), mossy/cracked Smooth Stone Brick variants (creative only), chiseled/smooth Sandstone variants
– New stairs: Nether Brick, Sandstone, Smooth Stone Brick, Quartz
– New slabs: Sandstone
– New item: Nether Brick (smelted from netherrack and crafted into nether brick tile)
– Upside-down stairs, corner stairs
– Slabs can be placed in up position (needs testing on small screens)
– Sand and Gravel are affected by gravity
– Recipes for crafting slabs give 6 slabs instead of 3 (as in PC version)
– Nether Reactor spawns Netherrack blocks instead of Obsidian
– The fog and sky color have changed
– The Nether Reactor now spawns more items
– Cows drop Leather
– Melons had several bugs where they would spawn too fast and where they shouldn’t.
New bluer sky with clouds
This should tide us over until the 0.7.0 which, if you’re a fan of Minecraft: Pocket Edition, you have to be already excited for it since it looks like some major features will be coming in that update including a more true multiplayer experience. If you’re impatient waiting for official multiplayer functionality then you could always set up your own server with PocketMine-MP.
For now though we do get plenty of big new features to toy around with in this update such as the new Stonecutter table, armor, baby animals, Netherrack and a plethora of new blocks and slabs available in Creative Mode. Side note: This update was just published so if you don’t see it right away that is because it is still propagating through Google Play. Just check again in a few minutes and it should be there. It will appear as an update first on your Android device before it shows on the web-based Google Play store.
Google Play Link: Minecraft: Pocket Edition