Tin Man games, makers of game books that are stylized after Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novels, has now released To Be Or Not To Be. Players will assume the role of either Hamlet, Ophelia, or Hamlet Sr, and play through Hamlet from the perspective of the chosen character. The story itself is told (loosely speaking), in its “original second-person non-linear branching narrative format”, if that gives you an idea of potential liberties taken.
Many artists were included in the visual design process, including “including Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant), Anthony Clark (Nedroid), Mike Krahulik (Penny Arcade), Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal), Ethan Nicolle (Axe Cop), Andrew Hussie (MS Paint Adventures), Zach Weiner (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) and WAY more!” The full list is here and it’s length is quite impressive.
To Be or Not To Be Features:
• Tiny Yorick skulls mark the choices Shakespeare took in his play!
• Play as Hamlet, Ophelia, and Hamlet Sr., each with their own unique adventures.
• Learn things, like the meaning of the word ‘pernicious’ and the origin of the phrase ‘Till death us do part’!
• Sensibly bring evil King Claudius to justice in a court of law! Or, stuff him into a cannon and then fire him into a wall! IT’S UP TO YOU.
• Travel through TIME! Fight PIRATES! Kill a guy IN A CHURCH (it’s totally okay, he’s a jerk!)!
• View the HAML-O-METER at the end of each story to see how well you stuck to the Bard’s vision!
• Dyslexic friendly font support, to aid readers with dyslexia.
• Hidden achievements to find throughout the gamebook.
• Art you discover is unlocked in the art gallery. Find all the full colour images as you play!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
To Be or Not To Be is available on Google Play for $5.99. For fans of Tin Man Games releases, this is a bit different than what you’re probably used to but it is still pretty cool, especially with all the guest art in this gamebook. You can also check out the trailer for this release in the video below.