Last week we reported on Nvidia who had begun teasing some features for the upcoming Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update for the company’s recently released Shield K1 tablet. Well today that update has begun rolling out to owners of the K1 tablet, which means we can now see the full changelog.
Update: December 22nd, 2015 11:17am PST: We contacted Nvidia asking when the Marshmallow update would roll out for the original Shield Tablet, and they gave us an answer as well as for the Shield Android TV. We will post another update once we learn more. Here’s the official response:
We’re working on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for original SHIELD tablets. Look for more news early in the new year. We’re also working on the update for SHIELD Android TV and will have an update shortly as well.
This is the first update for the K1 Tablet, bumping this update to version 1.0. With this update comes a lot of changes and additions to the OS. The Nvidia Shield Camera has had its UI changed to the Material design, has had its Burst Photo functionality improved, and users can add HD image effects in real-time to their photos. The overall User Interface for the tablet has also been tweaked including being able to launch Google Now commands from the lock screen.
Marshmallow Shield Update Features:
– New UI inspired by Material Design, improved burst photo functionality
– Adds new real-time HD Image Effects
– Quickly find information related to what you are seeing on the screen, also from inside an app
– MicroSD cards can be integrated with main internal storage, auto managed by system
– Personalize Home & Lock screens with different wallpapers, new NVIDIA wallpapers
– Personalize Quick Settings menu, add/remove, rearrange toggles
– Google Now voice commands can be launched from lock screen
– Permissions are now managed centrally
– App Standby power improvements
– Improved BT Low Energy scanning power efficiency
– Monitor Memory Usage with detailed usage of each app
– Optimized preloaded apps
– Adds Fallout Shelter game
As you may notice at the end of the full changelog description that it says the Fallout Shelter game has been added. Well, it will actually be added to your tablet once you update. If you own the newer K1 Shield Tablet, you should be able to download the Marshmallow update now. If you don’t see the notification for it, just jump into your Settings -> About Device, and tap check for updates.
Official Website: Nvidia Shield Changelog