Well things with HTC have gotten a bit more interesting as of today regarding their consideration about opening a spin-off company for their Virtual Reality products. The statement released by HTC is pretty short and to the point, pointing out a few things while stating that the reports coming out of Taiwan were incorrect.
What makes this interesting is that investors seemed to like the idea of a separate company focused on Virtual Reality products but still owned by HTC. So with HTC coming out and saying that those reports out of Taiwan are incorrect is an interesting move.
Whatever the case may be, here’s what HTC had to say about the entire thing:
To explain the United Evening News report on January 18, 2016
1. Date of occurrence of the event: 2016/01/18
2. Company name: HTC Corporation
3. Relationship to the Company (please enter ”head office” or ”subsidiaries”): Head Office
4. Reciprocal shareholding ratios: N/A
5. Name of the reporting media: United Evening News
6. Content of the report: Please refer to the report from the United Evening News on January 18, 2016.
7. Cause of occurrence: Recent media reports in Taiwan, such as by United Evening News, stating that Cher Wang is planning to spin off HTC’s VR operations into an independent entity that will be wholly owned by Wang is incorrect. HTC will continue to develop our VR business to further maximize value for shareholders.
8. Countermeasures: None
9. Any other matters that need to be specified: None
That’s the whole statement, unedited. Like we said, straight to the point. Maybe tomorrow it’ll be something different. We shall have to wait and see, but that was a pretty fast response by HTC over the rumored spin-off company.