Rovio, makers of all things avian and angry, have released a new game into the Angry Birds franchise called Angry Birds Action! The game is currently being rolled out softly in a few select regions, so I haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet. That being said, the game fits the mold of prior releases, where players will pull back on Red, and then let him loose to bounce around a variety of outdoor structures (sound familiar yet?), to see what can be taken down.
UPDATE: Thursday, April 28th – 3:46 AM, PST: If you have been waiting for the latest entry into the Angry Birds franchise, then your wait is over. Angry Birds Action! is now live in the Google Play Store. The game format is different this time, and the game is worth checking out. The game is free to play and does have optional in-app purchases. The link to download the game can be found below.
UPDATE: Wednesday, April 13th – 9:30 AM, PST: I went to a movie last week, and as part of the trailers, got a chance to see the new trailer for the Angry Birds Movie. It looks like it is going to be a pretty good movie. Rovio seems to be gearing up to release their latest game, in time to coincide with the movie release. We reported earlier this month, that the game had been soft-launched in some regions. Now, you can pre-register for the game in the Play Store. Angry Birds Action! is a bit different from the usual Angry Birds fanfare, and we are hearing good things about the game play. Nevertheless, it shouldn’t be too much longer before the worldwide release. If you are interested, the link to pre-register for the game, is at the end of this article.
The difference with this one is that it isn’t viewed from the side, but from the top. In short, this one plays a lot like one would play pinball. Barrels and fences now operate much like bumpers do in a pinball machine. The story for this game is simple. Red partied a bit too hard the night before, and awoke to see that Bird Island is now in shambles. To make matters worse, everyone thinks that he is to blame. So, players will assume the role of one angry Red, seeking to prove his innocence by… destroying more stuff to find evidence that Red hadn’t destroyed other stuff the night before.
Angry Birds Action! Features:
– Pinball meets anger: Pull back and send Red and co. careening into obstacles to save the eggs and collect valuable items.
– Play as the heroic trio: Red, Chuck, and Bomb! Oh yeah, and Terence.
– Blast obstacles to pieces with Red, speed through challenges with Chuck, or blow stuff up with Bomb. And then there’s Terence. He just destroys everything.
– Saving the day, one level at a time: Rescue eggs from their precarious perches and pick up precious items, and protect the hatchlings in 90 unique and brain-teasing levels.
– Team up with friends: Find treasure maps and work together with friends & other players on special challenges for awesome rewards.
– Rebuild the Bird Village and power-up: Unlock buildings in the village to create new power-ups. Steady your aim with the aimline extender, go invisible with the ghost bird power-up, and more!
Angry Birds Action! is on Google Play, but it isn’t available everywhere yet. If other Angry Bird games are any indicator, it’ll be free with optional IAPs included.