Just over a month ago, hot on the heels of the Ashworld announcement, OrangePixel also teased a complete remake of the 2011 platformer game Meganoid. In that span, the development has rocketed through production and already has a release date.
OrangePixel’s monstrous overhaul of the procedurally-generated platformer Meganoid is simply amazing. Players will need to jump, shoot, collect useful gadgets, find hidden bonus areas, and even “hack” elements of the gameworld to alter their way to victory in exploring the Meganoid ship. This remake is definitely a case of taking something good, and making it great.
- *Levels randomly generated on every game session, based on a set of templates, making the levels unique but familiar at the same time.
- *A platformer with “roguelike” elements. Consumables, alternate routes, procedural generation, and many devices and gadgets add depth to the challenging gameplay of the original Meganoid
- *A lot of collectible items that will change the main character’s abilities to navigate the world. Find a jetpack to start flying around, find anti-gravity-boots to perform double jumps, and much more.
- *Hidden bonus area’s to find and unlock. Often providing you with a short-cut or very rare and powerful items.
- *A hackable game world. Finding green key-cards allows you to modify how certain elements of the game act and respond to you. Stop rocket-launchers from working, make rockets fly less far, make destroyed robots drop extra lives.
- *Unlock the database with info on all the items and enemies you encounter to be better prepared on your next try.
- *In true Meganoid tradition, you’ll die a lot in many different ways, but you’ll learn to overcome the difficulties, learn how the Meganoid world operates, and eventually get to the bottom of it!