Wondering how to use your Monster Hunter Now special skill? Well, you’re in the right place. I’ll say right away though, to save you time, that if you can’t use your special skill yet, you likely don’t have a weapon at Grade 2. You unlock a weapon’s special skill at this tier. Still, even if that answers your question, do read on to learn everything you need to know about special skills, including how to use them.
Monster Hunter Now is a mobile entry in the series by Niantic, the makers of Pokémon GO. Much like GO before it, it’s a location-based game that sees you exploring your real world environments as you seek out monsters to hunt and resources to gather. You then use these resources to craft new gear, upgrade it, and take on even more challenging monsters.
Monster Hunter Now Special Skill
Now, let’s take a look at everything you need to know about Monster Hunter Now special skills.
How do I Unlock Special Skills?
Before we move onto how to use a special skill, you first need to unlock it. To do so, you need to first level up your weapon until it achieves Grade 2. That will require a fair amount of resources, so you’d best be prepared to go on a long walk and defeat loads of monsters.
You can check a weapon’s special skill in the level up screen. Simply tap on your equipment on the home menu, then choose a weapon, and you can see ‘Special Skill’ just beneath its stats.
Here’s a recap of what we have learned:
- Special skills unlock when you reach weapon Grade 2
- To increase your weapons grade, you need to level it up
- Grade 2 requires you to achieve weapon level 5
- You can check a weapon’s special skill in the level up screen
How do I Use Special Skills?
To use a special skill, first equip a weapon that’s achieved weapon grade 2. Then, head into combat against a monster. At this point, attack the monster until you fill the brand new special skill bar. When this is full, tap on the new special skill button to unleash your attack.
A word of warning: don’t use a special skill as a monster is glowing red, as that means it’s about to unleash its own powerful attack. I recommend that you use special skills the moment after you dodge an enemy’s attack, as it will be temporarily vulnerable.
Here’s what we learned:
- To use a special skill, equip a weapon at grade 2
- Enter combat
- Attack the enemy until the special bar fills
- Tap the special skill button to unleash the attack
- It’s best to use a special skill right after dodging an enemy attack
Monster Hunter Now Special Skills List
Now, let’s take a look at the complete list of Monster Hunter Now special skills:
- Sword and Shield – Perfect Rush Combo: Lunge forward and unleash a flurry of sword strikes and shield bashes.
- Light Bowgun – Wyvernblast Counter: Fire a high damage round, dealing explosive damage to the monster.
- Bow – Dargon Piercer: Fire an arrow that pierces your target, dealing considerable damage.
- Long Sword – Spirit Helm Breaker: Leap into the air and plunge your sword into the monster.
- Great Sword – True Charged Slash: Power up your great sword attack to deal greater damage.
- Hammer – Spinning Bludgeon: Spin and attack several times before dealing an uppercut attack.