Keith Burgun may not be a name you are instantly familiar with the moment you hear it but our friend has actually designed some pretty well known games. In fact Keith was the game designer behind 100 Rogues which recently made its way to Ouya. Well he’s been keeping us up to date regarding his newest title called Empire which is now available on Google Play.
Empire is a deck building 4X strategy game but it isn’t your typical CCG (Card Combat Game) style of game. Instead this is sort of a mesh between an empire building game, a board game and a full on CCG style of game. As you progress through the game more cards are added to your deck. Some will be useful creature and spell cards while others will be useless cards to get in your way.
– Procedurally generated worlds mean that no two games will be alike. Will you find valuable mountains to mine military materials from? Food-rich forests that will grow your Empire quickly?
– A unique take on the deck building mechanism similar to those in Dominion, Puzzle Strike or Ascension. Your deck grows during the game, and it fills with both useful Action Cards, powerful Spell Cards, — and also totally useless Strife Cards. Managing your deck is an important part of staying strong!
– Dozens of interesting tactical cards featuring excellent art from concept artist Gilles Ketting.
– A unique grid based tactical combat system. Use your Action and Spell cards to get the upper hand and destroy the enemy forces!
– Unlike traditional 4X strategy games which not only take hours, but tend to become slow and boring late game, EMPIRE is a quick, elegant knife-fight of a game.
Combat actually takes place in a tactics-style setup with your troops and your enemies on the playing field. The other really good feature about this game is that each time you play it will be different since each world is procedurally generated.
If you’re up for checking out this rather unique blend of genres, you can pick up a copy of Empire off of Google Play for basically $3.00. You can also check out the game in action in the video above. Many thanks to Keith for keeping us up-to-date with this game’s release onto Android.
Google Play Link: Empire