There is a new turn-based strategy war game available for Android gamers called Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders. Developed by Kerberos Productions, this game is actually up on Kickstarter looking for funding so the developers can finish the game. Unlike a lot of Kickstarter campaigns where you usually don’t have a demo or early build of the game to check out before deciding whether or not your want to pledge money to the developers, Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders is available to play right now.
This game takes place on a hex-based layout and is set in the Sword of the Stars science fiction universe. You will have various military units at your disposal, ranging from soldiers to tanks and aircraft, from one of the three available factions. All of this takes place during the Hiver War era, 2408-2436. Even though the game plays out as a turn-based strategy game, combat is done in real-time.
Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders is actually based off of the original PC game Sword of the Stars which Kerberos Productions also created. This company was actually formed by former members of Barking Dog Studios who produced Homeworld: Cataclysm. So these guys are pretty familiar with this genre of game.
Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Features:
– Control one of 3 Armies – Human, Tarka, and Hivers
– 80+ units covering Land, Sea, and Air forces
– Battle across alien worlds on exotic battlefields, including airless moons, lava plains, and meteor blasted wastelands
– Seize orbital superiority and call down Orbital Bombardment on your foes
– Build Airfields, Fortified Areas, and repair/destroy Bridges
– Improve your Unit’s experience and abilities over 3 Playable Campaigns
– Unlock and collect Combat Cards for each playable Race
– Build unique Combat Card Decks and tune them for specific Battles
– Choose from dozens of Scenarios, playable in Skirmish Mode or Head-to-Head Multi-player Mode
– Cross-Platform Support for PC and Android-compatible devices
– Create and Trade your own Battles using Scenario and Unit Editors
– Enjoy a SotSdex filled with Lore details on famous Units, Personalities, Battles and Weapon Systems
This version of Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders for Android is actually an Alpha build of the full game. It features only single-player content which is limited since it is an Alpha build after all. The reason for releasing this limited version is to allow people to try out the game before making a decision if they want to support the company’s current Kickstarter campaign. The full release will have cross-platform multiplayer between PC and Android gamers.
Right now the Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Kickstarter campaign is sitting at $16,706 with an overall goal of $42,000 which will be put towards finishing the game. You can download Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders off of Google Play for free and if you like the game, hop on over to their Kickstarter page and drop a couple of bucks to help out.
Google Play Link: Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders
Kickstarter Page: Ground Pounders Kickstarter