A massive retro-style 16-bit RPG called Pier Solar HD is up on Kickstarter looking for funding to finish the game. Originally designed for the Sega Mega Drive and Genesis as Pier Solar, this new HD version is slated for release on the Xbox 360, PC, Mac, Linux and the Dreamcast. Yes, that is correct, the Dreamcast. So why are we reporting on this? Because the Kickstarter project, which is fully funded, is less than $25,000 away from reaching its stretch goal which would bring Pier Solar HD to Android and OUYA with 5 days left to go.
Pier Solar HD follows the story of Hoston, a young botanist who is on a quest to save his father from a mysterious illness. He is accompanied by two of his best friends Alina and Edessot and the three of them embark on a quest seeking a rare herb to cure the illness of Hoston’s father. As with all simply journeys, this one to find the rare herb spirals out of controls where Hoston begins unraveling his father’s past and the mystery of Pier Solar and the Great Architects.
Pier Solar HD Features:
– The Biggest 16-bit RPG Ever! We released Pier Solar on a custom 64MEG cartridge (the average SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game size is 12MEG), making it the biggest 16-bit RPG ever! This allowed us to push the 16-bit medium to a precedent setting level, with state-of-the-art aesthetics and things like full-screen cutscenes, background scaling and 3D modes.
– A 100% Original RPG! Pier Solar was developed from the ground up. An original world, storyline, soundtrack, characters, enemies, and battle style. No ports, translations or copying from any other game – it’s all fresh! The first original 16-bit RPG to do this in over a decade!
– A Massive World to Explore! Pier Solar has 50+ hours of gameplay, over 300 locations, nearly 500 unique treasure chests, and over 800 NPCs!
– Epic Battle Tactics! We developed an innovative battle system that puts you in control of up to five characters and includes in-depth strategic moves such as counter-attacks and a special strategy called Gather, which stores energy to unleash even more powerful moves and spells!
– Translated in 5 Languages! Pier Solar is translated in 5 languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German.
– An Original Soundtrack! A beautiful soundtrack written just for Pier Solar that embodies everything great about a classic retro soundtrack!
– There Are Surprises! We also packed-in many other surprises and secrets like hidden areas and mini-games!
The visuals from the original game are getting quite the high definition makeover while retaining the great retro 16-bit look, which you can see int he comparison images above. If you’re a fan of retro RPGs in general, or this game specifically, and you want to have this game on your Android or future OUYA device, then head on over to their Kickstarter page and drop a few bucks to help ensure the Android version gets made. You can check out their pitch video below.
Thanks to tRevor H. for the tip!
Website Referenced: Pier Solar HD Kickstarter