Pier Solar HD is a massive retro-style 16-bit RPG that is actually a revamped version of the original Pier Solar RPG from back in the day. The developers recently took to Kickstarter to fund this new remake for a few platforms, those being Xbox 360, PC, Mac, Linux and the Dreamcast. However, in their stretch goals, the developers had Android and OUYA set at the $175,000 mark. Well their Kickstarter closed at just over $231K meaning both the Android and OUYA versions will be made.
To recap about this game, Pier Solar HD follows the story of Hoston, a young botanist who is on a quest to save his father from a mysterious illness. He is accompanied by two of his best friends Alina and Edessot and the three of them embark on a quest seeking a rare herb to cure the illness of Hoston’s father. As with all simply journeys, this one to find the rare herb spirals out of controls where Hoston begins unraveling his father’s past and the mystery of Pier Solar and the Great Architects.
Pier Solar HD Features:
– The Biggest 16-bit RPG Ever! We released Pier Solar on a custom 64MEG cartridge (the average SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game size is 12MEG), making it the biggest 16-bit RPG ever! This allowed us to push the 16-bit medium to a precedent setting level, with state-of-the-art aesthetics and things like full-screen cutscenes, background scaling and 3D modes.
– A 100% Original RPG! Pier Solar was developed from the ground up. An original world, storyline, soundtrack, characters, enemies, and battle style. No ports, translations or copying from any other game – it’s all fresh! The first original 16-bit RPG to do this in over a decade!
– A Massive World to Explore! Pier Solar has 50+ hours of gameplay, over 300 locations, nearly 500 unique treasure chests, and over 800 NPCs!
– Epic Battle Tactics! We developed an innovative battle system that puts you in control of up to five characters and includes in-depth strategic moves such as counter-attacks and a special strategy called Gather, which stores energy to unleash even more powerful moves and spells!
– Translated in 5 Languages! Pier Solar is translated in 5 languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German.
– An Original Soundtrack! A beautiful soundtrack written just for Pier Solar that embodies everything great about a classic retro soundtrack!
– There Are Surprises! We also packed-in many other surprises and secrets like hidden areas and mini-games!
As with all revamped games, the visuals are getting a health makeover as well, sporting much more high-definition 16-bit visuals mixed with 3D-esque backgrounds to form a pretty unique look to them. Now that this game is indeed coming to Android and OUYA, we will be following its development much more closely, hopefully finding out some sort of release time for when we can expect Pier Solar HD to arrive.
Website Referenced: Joystiq