Interesting news coming from Sony today as the company has announced that Playstation Mobile will be officially closing up shop in July of this year. The announcement game in an official post on the Playstation Support Forums News section, stating that content distribution will completely cease in a few months from now.
Playstation Mobile will be closing up in two different period of time. The content distribution part of the service will be ceasing in July 2015 while in-app purchases and the ability to re-download content and games you’ve already purchased will end in September 2015. However, this actually goes further. The Playstation Mobile for Android service, which allows users to access Playstation Mobile content on a variety of PlayStation Certified devices, will be unavailable after September 2015 as well. Basically, at the end of September 2015 there will be no more Playstation Mobile outside of playing the games you’ve already purchased.
There is a bit of silver lining though with all of this. Users will be able to save everything they have purchased, as well as being able to play all purchased games and content, after September 2015 following the instructions Sony has also released in the announcement:
Consumers will still be able to access and play the PSM content they have purchased, after September 10, 2015, by activating their devices*2 using the instructions below. Your device must be connected to the Internet in order to activate your device. Previously, content was automatically authenticated whenever the device connected to the Internet, but this will not happen after September 10, 2015.
Steps on activating your device:
– For PS Vita users: You will need to complete the device activation process by performing the steps below between March 10, 2015, and September 10, 2015:
– Go to [Settings] > [PSN℠] > [System Activation] > [PlayStation Mobile] > [Activate] > [OK].
– For PlayStation®Certified device users: You will need to open up the PSM app and launch any purchased PSM content between April 10, 2015 and September 10, 2015*3 to complete the content authentication process.
– Please ensure that you have downloaded all of the games that you want to keep. After September 10, 2015, you will not be able to re-download your purchased content.
– Devices that are not authenticated prior to September 10, 2015 will be unable to access previously purchased PSM content after that date.
So why exactly is this happening? We don’t really know but we can certainly guess it is an economic issue. Back in August 2014 Sony did announce that they would not be supporting Playstation Mobile for Android anymore so we shouldn’t be too surprised at this announcement really. We have reached out to Sony for a comment and will post an update if/when we hear back from them.
Thanks to everyone who sent this in!
Website Referenced: Sony Playstation Support Forums