Back during GDC 2012 we got confirmation that the Total War series from Sega would be making its way to Android soon. Now, after a fair amount of time passing, Total War Battles: Shogun has finally arrived onto the Google Play store so you can hack up your enemy clans with ease.
When we were at GDC 2012, we got to sit down with Sega and have a good hands-on with Total War Battles: Shogun and after dicing up a few enemy units, we walked away fairly pleased with what we saw and experienced. For those of you unfamiliar with the Total War series, this series originated on the PC before moving onto other platforms, now including Android. It is an RTS game where you select the troops you want to use before each battle before starting a round of fighting. You’ll also need to deal with resources and buildings as well.
Total War Battles: Shogun Features:
– COMPETE FOR THE SUPREMACY OF MEDIEVAL JAPAN: Lead your clan to battle through more than 10 hours of story-driven campaign set in the world of Total War™: SHOGUN 2; winner of “Best Strategy Game of 2011” awards from Gamespot, IGN, Gamespy and GameTrailers.
– BUILD YOUR ECONOMY: Deploy and manage your bases to generate resources and recruit units including samurai, archers, ninjas and cavalry. Each victory awards XP to spend on building and troop upgrades that could make a decisive difference to your future battles.
– A UNIQUE TAKE ON REAL-TIME BATTLES: Total War Battles™ introduces a new real-time battle system that feels both familiar and fresh. The hex battle maps allow for natural unit movements and deep strategy. However, as followers of the “Bushido” code of conduct, your units can never turn back – this twist to classic RTS gameplay adds tension and intensity to the action, making each victory even more rewarding.
– DESIGNED FOR TOUCHSCREENS: Introducing an interface designed specifically for touchscreens – drag and drop buildings and troops, swipe across the battle map with a flick, and pinch to zoom in and out.
– 1Vs1 LOCAL MULTIPLAYER: Play against a friend in real-time on a single device in three different multiplayer modes.
– SKIRMISH MODE: Play through six standalone battles in Normal, Hard or Shogun difficulty. Compete against other players on the leaderboards and unlock new Skirmish achievements.
– STRATEGY FOR ALL: Total War™ fans will naturally enjoy the intense, deep and rewarding action-strategy gameplay, while more casual strategy fans will appreciate the Zen simplicity of the opening tutorial battles, scalable difficulty level and hint system that will soon make them a tactical master.
While you can play through the entire campaign mode on various difficulty setting, if you want a break from that, you can just take part in skirmishes instead. You can also challenge a friend to a 1-on-1 battle using the same device. The visuals are some rather nicely done 3D graphics where troops in each unit move at different times instead of the standard all moving at one with the same motion a lot of these games come with.
For those of you who have been waiting all this time to play this game since we went hands-on with it at GDC 2012, you can now head over to the Google Play store and pick it up for $4.99. You can also check out the game in action in the video below.
Google Play Link: Total War Battles: Shogun